Monday, February 11, 2013

The Dragon Empire by Heather McCorkle

Review for The Dragon Empire by Heather McCorkle
 
 

On Yacrana dragons are the advanced species. But advanced doesn't always mean civilized...

There's trouble in the Dragon Empire, the kind that could start a war between dragons and the races of people. Hidden factions of dragons believe they should rule the lesser races, not simply stand aside and allow them to develop as they will. Having lived so long in peace, the Emperors turn a blind eye, many oblivious that such attitudes even exist.

Despite being only an architect class, emerald dragon, Grendar is willing to risk banishment and death to stop that which his rulers refuse to see. The hope of peace lies not within the scaled breast of a dragon however, but within the hands of a group of people. But if the hidden factions have their way, these people won’t live to fulfill such a destiny. With a reluctant seer at his side, Grendar must leave his precious Empire for the outside world to save those that will one day save his kind.

 
Okay, so The Dragon Empire is a beautifully writen book with some amazing descriptions.
The storyline is very unique, with many interesting plot twists, characters and fighting for the opportunity to be who you want to be, instead of what's expected of you.
 
There's some harsh characters that I seriously want to beat the poo out of, and some great personal growth with the MC.
 
And lets face it, Dragons are awesome!
 
BUT, I couldn't lose myself in it.  While the descriptions were great, they were almost too long.  I found myself wanting to skip some of the paragraphs to get to the dialogue and more interesting scenes.
 
I would of loved this book when I was younger, but as an adult (almost 30yr old, hey now, 4 years away thus I'm ALMOST there), it just didn't hold enough appeal to me as it would to someone say, 14-17 yrs old.
 
Don't get me wrong, the storyline was amazingly thought out, but the tempo of the book, which was slow, added with the length of the descriptions just wasn't enough to ensnare me.
 
I'd love to read some of Heather's more 'adult' books, because she is a truly talented writer, but, sadly, when it comes to The Dragon Empire, it just fell a little too much under par.
 
So, my recommendation for this book is that if you're either absolutely fanatic about dragons or are a teen who loves to read about mystical realms, then this book is absolutely for you!
 
Until next time, Happy Reading!

To purchase your copy of Dragon Empire for Kindle click HERE for Nook click HERE

1 comment: